Question: Does any particular image run throughout the poem?
Answer: The image of a grasshopper is present in the poem. It plays a big part in describing the poem through a metaphor. The metaphor is one that has to do with life. The writer, Mary Oliver, questions life with the grasshopper. She is basically saying life is short and to do everything you can with it because there may not be enough time. I think the grasshopper image leads a reader to think of his/her own life.
Thursday, May 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is exactly what I got out of the poem as well. You did a great job of describing what the author was trying to get the reader to discover in her poem. I also think that the author was trying to talk about their life when she wrote about strolling through the field. This relates to when you said the author is saying life is too short. She is trying to tell us that she has been strolling through life and doesn't know where the time as gone.
ReplyDelete