Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A Thousand-Mile Walk to the Gulf

Question: How does the writer structure this essay and to what effect?

Answer: Muir structures this piece by getting the audience involved first with action. This action draws the reader deeper into the book because it is interesting. Then Muir switches to his own beliefs by questioning things like life and God. People are going to be more likely to read these ideas with an open mind because of what he did earlier in the book by drawing them in. Not only that the ideas will make more sense. They will do that because they are directly related to the action earlier. It is a linear style piece.

1 comment:

  1. I fully agree with you at what the author is trying to do in this piece. By starting off with a story like he did, he is really trying to draw the reader in, however I don't feel he chose to tell the right story. I don't think that the author did a very good job of showing what he was going to talk about in the rest of the piece

    ReplyDelete